What makes a turkey a Certified Humane® turkey?
When you purchase food with the Certified Humane® label, you’re supporting farmers who support the humane treatment of farm animals by following our precise Standards of Animal Care. When you purchase food with the Certified Humane® label, you’re supporting farmers who support the humane treatment of farm animals by following our precise Standards of Animal Care.
Take turkeys, for example.
- Under our Standards of Animal Care, farmers must provide turkeys with a nutritious diet without antibiotics and fresh drinking water at all times.
- They must provide turkeys with appropriate shelter, with shade and protection from inclement weather and predators.
- In barns or on pasture, turkeys must have perches so they can roost and engage in natural behaviors.
- Caretakers must be able to demonstrate competence in handling animals in a positive and compassionate manner.
- And, they also must give turkeys a minimum of eight hours of light and eight hours of darkness each day to maintain the bird’s natural life cycles.
These standards and more are compliant with standards verified annually by independent, specially trained, auditors with expertise in their fields.
And, if you can’t find a Certified Humane® turkey or other food items at your local grocery store, please visit our Take Action page to see how you can encourage grocery stores to carry these products. When consumers demand it, grocery stores will carry it, and it will make a world of difference for farm animals.